Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new desktop running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
[Image: ubuntu-1004.png]

Looking at your desktop... are you aware of CreBS? It's a utility that creates a slideshow from various wallpapers, the slideshow being in XML format - so you can specify it as a wallpaper and have it cycle through different images as you're working.

I've created a "celestial" and "landscapes" slideshows to use as my rotating backdrops, on a 5-min changeover. (I've also got them semi-transparent and have the compiz cube gears whirring away through them also. It just looks freaky for visitors.)

nice, so how does it feel ? gnome 3 i mean ? isn't this a newer version than what I have on Fedora 15 ?

Quote:Looking at your desktop... are you aware of CreBS? It's a utility that creates a slideshow from various wallpapers, the slideshow being in XML format - so you can specify it as a wallpaper and have it cycle through different images as you're working.

I've created a "celestial" and "landscapes" slideshows to use as my rotating backdrops, on a 5-min changeover. (I've also got them semi-transparent and have the compiz cube gears whirring away through them also. It just looks freaky for visitors.)

No I wasn't aware of Crebs, looks interesting :) I'll have a look at it. thanks.

I did play around with compiz a while back but never got it configured right and messed up my

desktop real bad, although compiz always looks really cool. I'll give it another try too .

Quote:nice, so how does it feel ? gnome 3 i mean ? isn't this a newer version than what I have on Fedora 15 ?

It runs smoother as a desktop that's my personal opinion. It's still the normal gnome but they made it look a little different. Gnome 3 has more of a mac type menu look in a way.

You should be able to compare it cuz you run gnome 3, right? I was thinking of going for Ubuntu 11.10 but I don't know what to think of unity. I didn't like gnome 3 cuz it differs so

much from gnome and it crashed alot, and have that same for unity. It looks nice but I like the old gnome better and don't know if it crashes but I might try to run it virtually

and see how it runs. But I'll wait for the next LTS anyways before I upgrade again.

[Image: Compiz-screenshot.png]

Compiz Installed :)

I miss the Compiz cube effect (when Compiz was all new and shiny!) -- right now I have the default 'tile' view for moving between the different desktop spaces in Ubuntu.

Quote:I miss the Compiz cube effect (when Compiz was all new and shiny!) -- right now I have the default 'tile' view for moving between the different desktop spaces in Ubuntu.

[Image: 300671_178784925536481_100002149234475_3...3006_n.jpg]

How different was it when it was al new and shiny compared to now? Played with it last night and got a different wallpaper for every workspace now.

Looks pretty awesome and I got emrald installed. Haven't done anything with it yet.

Had some trouble with compiz after updating my video driver I think got it back now and have compiz running just the way I want ultimate settings and animations. Here's how my cube all the way around looks :)

[Image: Desktop1.png]

[Image: Desktop2.png]