Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RHEL 6 and TigerVNC

Ok so I need to VNC into an RHEL 6 box. The admin installed TigerVNC. I've never used VNC, but I understand it to be the Linux "RDP". Anyway, how does VNC work in regard to server/client software? Do you have to use a particular VNC client to connect to a particular VNC server? Could I use TightVNC or RealVNC clients to connect to the TigerVNC server? What do you all recommend as far as VNC clients?

Thanks!

Quote:Could I use TightVNC or RealVNC clients to connect to the TigerVNC server?
Yup - think of the VNC server as a webserver, and the VNC client as a browser. If they both talk the VNC protocol, they should be able to communicate quite easily.

I've used an RDP client under ubuntu and Fedora to connect to a Windows terminal server, but not used any VNC stuff, unfortunately, so can't advise upon clients. All that I *do* know is that VNC isn't an encrypted protocol, so you may want to look at clients/server configs that support encryption of some kind.

A list of available clients can be found here - give a whirl. Better still, report back to us here about which you prefer and why!