Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apache/websites

Quote:suEXEC works like suPHP, but for cgi-bin executables. I don't allow cgi-bin on my servers (am wary of permitting mod_perl in many cases) so don't use it.

mod_ssl is for SSL-enabling sites. Once you've got one working, it's a simple matter to duplicate the template for other sites. Just note that you can't SSL-enable vhosts, you can only ssl-enable the IP.

mod_proxy I don't use, unless I'm using mod_rewrite (which requires mod_proxy). Again, I found this fairly easy to set up, but it helped me going through the rigmarole of suPHP first so all files apache were writing were user-owned, not apache-owned.

I'll think I'll try and have a look at suPHP, mod_security and htaccess first and try the rest on my virtualbox install.

Went looking through the apache documentation and there's so much to read. What would you say with the experience in

system administration are the most important things to know about apache?

An understanding that there is a helluva lot there.

A belief that results do not necessarily mean success.

A viewpoint that things can become quite messy quite quickly, so documenting and diagramming as you go to get a clearer picture of what is happening - and being organised in your approach - works wonders.

Continuously reviewing logfiles to understand what is happenning now and later.

It's generally a journey, and not a short one, either - but a very rewarding one.

Quote:An understanding that there is a helluva lot there.

A belief that results do not necessarily mean success.

A viewpoint that things can become quite messy quite quickly, so documenting and diagramming as you go to get a clearer picture of what is happening - and being organised in your approach - works wonders.

Continuously reviewing logfiles to understand what is happenning now and later.

It's generally a journey, and not a short one, either - but a very rewarding one.

ah ok. I guess my journey of exploring linux has begun but I do have some goals in my journey besides learning more :)Well this thread can be closed I suppose.

Thanks for all the input and advice :)Will keep reading this through for information. Although I did document it already :)