Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redhat vs CentOS

I know that CentOS is just a Redhat clone with all the redhat stuff stripped off. I've read quite a bit of

different opinions over the internet when it comes to centos vs redhat. I'm just wondering what the opinions

and experiences are of the members on this forum? :)

"Red Hat" is the actual company.

Red Hat make two Linux distributions: Fedora (formerly called Red Hat) which is free and end-user, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), which is the higher-end more robust version of Fedora. They're very similar in appearance and workings, the major differences being:

- the cost of support

- the hardware limitations (RHEL supports more processors and larger RAM amounts)

- the software quality assurance (RHEL uses "up2date"; Fedora uses "yum")

CentOS - Community Server OS is based on the RHEL base code, rather than the Fedora stuff, so enjoys the stability and robustness offered by RHEL but lacks the speed of Fedora updates (such as latest flash, media players, etc).

In a nutshell: CentOS on your severs, Fedora on your desktop. Bit like "Debian on the servers, Ubuntu/mint on the desktop".

Hope that helps.

thanks for the info :)I'm running CentOS on my desktop now seems to be running without any problems. Will try fedora on a virtualpc to see how it runs.

Oh, CentOS will run fine as a desktop OS... it just won't have all the fancy bells n whistles that you'd find in a desktop distro - things like Compiz/Fusion and a host of other client progs may not be fully available (or the latest release may not be out for CentOS).

I know I had issues hunting for procmail and dovecot for my CentOS build a few years back.

Let me know how you get on - I'm toying with putting CentOS on my home server (upgrading from Fedora Core 4)

Quote:Oh, CentOS will run fine as a desktop OS... it just won't have all the fancy bells n whistles that you'd find in a desktop distro - things like Compiz/Fusion and a host of other client progs may not be fully available (or the latest release may not be out for CentOS).

I know I had issues hunting for procmail and dovecot for my CentOS build a few years back.

Let me know how you get on - I'm toying with putting CentOS on my home server (upgrading from Fedora Core 4)

I just decided to switch my desktop from centos 5 to fedora 15. Looks amazing, reminds me a bit of the mac osx look in a way. I still need to get used

to the looks of Fedora, but I'm liking it as a desktop :)But I have noticed that centos does run a bit smoother. Isn't fedora also the testing grounds for redhat?

I posted two screenshots here

Quote:I just decided to switch my desktop from centos 5 to fedora 15. Looks amazing, reminds me a bit of the mac osx look in a way. I still need to get usedto the looks of Fedora, but I'm liking it as a desktop :)But I have noticed that centos does run a bit smoother. Isn't fedora also the testing grounds for redhat?

I posted two screenshots here

Yeah, Fedora is, in a sense, the testing ground that stays about a year(?) ahead of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). CentOS's relationship with RHEL is that it is just another build of all the RHEL sources, but with the 'Red Hat' branding taken out!