Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing PostGres

Dear all,

I started installing PostgreSQL 9 using yum and following the guide on http://davidghedini.blogspot.com/2010/10...entos.html.

However I get the error message:

Code:
Transaction Check Error:
installing package postgresql90-server-9.0.3-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64 needs 16KB on the / filesystem
installing package postgresql90-9.0.3-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64 needs 16KB on the / filesystem
installing package postgresql90-libs-9.0.3-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64 needs 20KB on the / filesystem

When I check the disk usage i get:

Code:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md1              3.9G  3.7G     0 100% /
/dev/md5              881G  1.5G  879G   1% /scratch
/dev/md4              3.4G   71M  3.1G   3% /tmp
/dev/md3              3.9G  372M  3.4G  10% /var
/dev/md2              9.7G  3.2G  6.0G  35% /usr
/dev/md0              578M   29M  520M   6% /boot

I can see that there is no space left on '/', but '/usr' and '/var' are mounted on different disks and have enough space for the installation. Is there a way to get the installation done without the need for space on '/'? It is a university machine and I would prefer to not going back to the sys-admins for a re configuration.

Thanks a lot!

Patrick

Quote:I can see that there is no space left on '/', but '/usr' and '/var' are mounted on different disks and have enough space for the installation.
Unfortunately, / includes /sbin and /etc, which may be needed for the installation.

You may want to look at clearing down /, in particular /root - look for stuff downloaded into root's home dir and consider moving those over to /scratch somewhere (looks like plenty of room there), particularly if you log in as root - or graphically - which could deposit plenty of stuff into home directories. In your case, I'm guessing /home is coming off /, meaning it's filling up the root filesystem.

The other alternative is (or was) to use Logical Volume Manager during the install. This allows filesystems to be expanded dynamically, so you could have kept /scratch much smaller (10G or so) then dynamically extended other filesystems into unused disk storage when necessary.

Try a forum search for the "du" command - there are a few examples that allow you to determine where consumption is taking place, and could indicate clearing down / by moving just a few large files.

Hope that helps!