Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
skype webcam for linux mint 9

I have a creative Live! Cam Vista IM webcam which works ok in linux mint 9 Cheese but doesn't work in Skype. If I press the test option in Skype the whole screen goes blank and the the options screen reappears with no test picture on it. Is this fixable or do I need to get another webcam, and if so, which webcams will work in Skype with Linux Mint 9?

Cheers, GM

Quote:I have a creative Live! Cam Vista IM webcam which works ok in linux mint 9 Cheese but doesn't work in Skype. If I press the test option in Skype the whole screen goes blank and the the options screen reappears with no test picture on it. Is this fixable or do I need to get another webcam, and if so, which webcams will work in Skype with Linux Mint 9?

Cheers, GM

It is, apparently, possible to get your webcam working with Skype on Linux (see this thread on Ubuntu Forums), but the process is fiddly, and that link is how to get it to work with an older version of Ubuntu (while Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so instructions for Ubuntu normally work fine on Linux Mint, it is an older version, so things might have changed).

See the entry for your webcam on this page on the Ubuntu wiki (scroll down to List of 'Fiddle to Get Working' Webcams).

Alternatively, it will be much easier and save a lot of hassle if you are prepared to find and purchase a cheap webcam from the list of 'Webcams that just work' on that same page. Look for compatibility with Ubuntu 10.04, as this is what Linux Mint 9 is based on.

Let us know what you do and how you get on. :)

Alternatively, if the camera works in Cheese, but not Skype, this thread on Ubuntu Forums seems to offer a hack which might work. As I say, though, you have two core choices here -- fiddle and play around until this camera works, or buy one that is known not to cause problems.

Thanks - I tried the fix but it was unsuccessful. I think I'll look for another webcam.

Cheers, GM