Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey! I'm triiforce!

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all! My real name is Ma'at! I hail from Columbus, Ohio. I'm 16 years young and I'm now a senior in high school! and some of you may be wondering "How does a young blood know about Linux? And let alone use it?" Well let me tell you. I'm a computer nerd. I <3 working with them and fooling around with them. Pretty much my whole life I've grew up On a Windows OS. I've hated Macs w/a passion(and still do). So far my windows knowledge extends up to Xp. I'm pretty sure that I'm a semi-advanced xp user. So let me tell you how I got interested in the Penguin. A couple years back Me and my uncle were talking about operating systems and mentioned to me linux. I was trying to enter the "Pro PC gamer" scene. I don't know any pro linux gamers so, My disposition on linux was generally negative and I was like, "Ugh, Linux? Who plays Battlefield 2 let alone Counter-Strike on linux?" So I strayed away from Linux for a year after that. Another 6 months later, I started dipping my toes into linux. I tried out Distros (I'm not quite sure on this help me out here) like Kde and ubuntu. Still wasn't interested. I'm a visual kinda guy, I have a quirk for judging an os's incredibility by its Gui and I was not very impressed with the gui's for both of those distros(help me again still not sure if this is this is the right word). So another 6 months later we're where we are now. I got a wii for christmas and a started hacking and modding it 4 months ago. This summer I didn't get the well-paying job I wanted so I decide to turn to my side job and rewrite articles. This job I normally use a computer for this and ever since I made a transition from homeschooling to brick and mortar I've had to return the Pc my school supplied me with. That was the fastest pc in the house. I have two other computers in my home and both are frustratingly slow. I get temper tantrums trying to run Ms office on one. 2 weeks ago I heard of wii linux and I remembered that there was a word processor, OpenOffice, for linux. I figured "Hey! If I get linux for my wii, then I can use my hard drive that I mount my wii games from to install OpenOffice on it! No more mooching my grand parents to use their slow comps!" Here's the thing, I knew next to nothing about linux. So a few hours ago I google "linux for noobs" First result led me to linux-noob.com. I read for about an hour about linux basics, building my vocabulary with words like 'kernel' and 'distribution'. Being the passionate learner, I start getting excited about this Idea of what linux really is: A huge tub of legos to build the ultimate toy car I want! And yes, I read the "Linux is not Windows" thread, the lego analogy made me laugh, being a lego fan.

Anyways, my first distro will be a Wii-linux GUI based Gentoo distribution called xWhiite. After I install xWhiite I'm gonna install Ubuntu on one of my old computers and experiment with it. I'm really now glad to think of myself as a part of a linux open-source community, kinda like a family! Thanks again for having me here!

P.S.: OMG! This took an hour to write using a wiimote! See how badly I need to turn my wii into a comp by installing linux? But first I need to get a usb keyboard. ^-^

Hi Triiforce,

Welcome to the forum. It's good to get interested in Linux early, I first used Linux when I was 13 and joined this forum two years later.

Explore, play around and feel free to ask any questions you might have in the relevant forums here. Also, if you want to share your experiences, or share screenshots and so on, feel free to do that too in the right categories.

A warm welcome from all of us to Linux-noob. :)

welcome to the forums and i loved reading your post, very interesting :)
Welcome to the forums :)