Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
remove fedrora and install xp
i have accer emachines atom notebook with fedrora preinstalled and it does not have cd drive.i has 160 hdd. i coped xp from pendrive but it not getting started. the file system it is showing ext4 and others. i want remove them, convert the hdd into ntfs and install xp.i have to some project work urgently.HOW DO I REMOVE EXT4 PARTITION OF FEDRORA AND MAKE A NTFS PARTITION WITHOUT A CD DRIVE. I HAVE USB PORT TO HAVE A PENDRIVE.....

Firstly, if your project work is urgent, you may want to look at alternative means of getting it done that don't depend upon installing XP over Fedora.

Secondly, during the install of XP, you'll need to specify that you want to repartition the disk. This should destroy any EXT4 filesystem currently on there, permitting the installer to recreate a new partition with FAT32/NTFS, suitable for XP.

Lastly, if you just want to run XP on your notebook short-term - consider virtualising it, i.e. run it in a virtual machine under Fedora. However, this may take some time to master and rushing it with project deadlines approaching may not be the best approach.

I think one of the issues here is the lack of CD/DVD drive. I really don't know and have no experience with installing Windows from media other than CD/DVD, so I'm not going to be much help here.

Nuking the partitions also implies you'd want to boot from some other source, and again, I don't have much experience with booting systems via USB.

windows 7 will installed very happily using a usb key, that would be easiest in this case i think,