Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
liveCD issues and flash player
I am a casual Linux user, not very smart or experienced, and have some problems I find I cannot resolve. First of all, I am a college kid on winter break, and cannot get the usual live help from tangible people that keeps me able to use Linux normally. Second of all, I haven't got a hard drive in my laptop right now. I have a laptop which I am currently using and a desktop which dual boots vista and ubuntu studio as well. I cannot use the keyboard on the desktop and am worried if I restart it will it still not work because I can't put a password in when the keyboard elicits no response. It was working fine and then I replaced the mouse and now it won't do anything it is as if I am not hitting the keys. If I hit Caps Lock the light does not turn on or anything and the Num Lock light is on so it cannot have become unplugged. Anyway, I use my laptop and that is fine, but my laptop, not having a hard drive, boots with a Karmic Koala liveCD. I think the CD is having problems. I use the laptop and after two days or so have to restart it because things just quit working. I tried to make a new liveCD with my desktop computer to see if it would resolve the issue but the CD does not work- it gets a lot of buffer i/o errors and sqshfce errors or something like that. Anyway, none of the flash plugins can be found when I attempt to install them and I don't know enough about Linux to install the tar.gz (I tried but did not really have a clue once I got to the middle of the instructions and kind of abandoned the attempt) so if you could explain to me in the simplest terms possible how to make a liveCD I would greatly appreciate it.

You’ve explained quite a few problems that you have been experiencing with various different setups. I’m a little bit confused as to which question you’re asking in this thread — which of these things is your priority to sort out that you’d like help with (first)?

To make a new Karmic Koala live CD, go to the Ubuntu download page and download the 9.10 desktop version. When the download completes, you have an .iso file which is an image you need to burn to a CD. This page has detailed instructions on how to burn the ISO image to a CD properly under pretty much any OS that you might be able to get to!