Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
external access to my web server

Hi,

I've followed a "how to set up a LAMP server" tutorial and got everything installed and working. If I access the machine's local ip I can see it from any computer in the house. Am I correct in thinking that means everything is configured and working properly on the server's end of things? It's running the most recent Debian distro, by the way. So what's left to do is forward port 80 to that computer's ip?

Right so I've done that too, my router (BeBox) calls it Application & Game Sharing.

But now if I try to navigate to http://my.ip.here.ok I end up coming to the router's config page.

Any suggestions? Is there something else I've got to do I don't know about?? Or is this just an issue with the router in which case I can ship myself over to my ISP's support forum...

Thanks in advance

Sam

forwarding port 80 is one part, but don't forget to open port 80 tcp in your linux firewall, and to verify that apache or httpd is started,

did you compile apache/mysql/php or add it via yum/apt-get ?

cheers

niall

As Anyweb mentioned, firstly route port 80 externally through to your server - which you've done - and check your firewall allows (unrestricted) incoming connections to that port. Note that you may have a firewall rule that allows LAN connections but not non-LAN, so anyone outside can't see it.

Secondly, to test.. you need to get someone from outside to do it. What you're doing is telling your client to go knocking on your "front door", but your client is doing it from inside the network.. which means it sees the BACK of your front door, ie: your router. You need someone who's outside to knock on the FRONT of your door.

Since I can see the IP address you posted with, I'm happy to check it from here.

One work of warning: monitor your logfiles VERY carefully (access and error logs), and consider installing mod_security, logwatch and fail2ban if you haven't done so already. As soon as you open port 80, you'll get no end of sniffers banging on your door, probing for vulnerabilities.

(I usually bind my websites to a higher port number - like 800 - during testing, then move them to 80 once they've tested fine).

Hope that helps!