Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Nycatle

Hi to you all, I'm new to this so be gentle with me! I'm not that PC literate so I hope to learn as I go and you may see my asks a bit daft at times doh. I explained this to anyweb (top man) being a Mechanic I can only see the PC as a whole "like an engine" so like I said my questions may sound odd.

Then what's it all about? how do these engines work can you make one big script to do it all and if so how? This OS is Ubuntu Ibex and I must say it is mint for a noob, easy to install and it kicks Windows butt B)

Any pointers would be gratefully accepted and constructive criticism welcome.

Hey enough from me but its good to be here and lots to read the site and your info has helped so much already. Sadly you cant help my spelling and typos!

Welcome robbin!

I hope you enjoy your Linux experience and spending time here at Linux-noob. :)

Hi there Robbin.

You're kinda right about the "see the PC as a whole" thing. I tend to visualise it as a car where the engine can be swapped for windows/linux/etc but the end objectives of the vehicle are still the same.

In the Linux world, the engine will be designed slightly differently, so the dashboard and controls may look unfamiliar at first - some dials may be roof-mounted or beamed directly onto the windscreen in a heads-up display, rather than being in the usual place in front of the driver - but they all pretty much serve the same purpose.

Since different people have different needs, rather than "one big script" there are a load of smaller interconnecting parts, all working in unison. Ponder your hot water system: rather than have one big box that does everything, there will be a heater unit that heats tapwater and radiators, but these could be two isolated systems housed in the same box. A larger house will require more radiators, a house with several bathrooms will need several feeds to multiple taps, etc - so the water system will be designed with scalability and upgradeability in mind: a plumber should just be able to connect another radiator or tap, rather than have to remove and rebuild the entire heater units. In the same way we can replace the car stereo without having to worry about buying a new engine to suit. Computers are identical: we obtain smaller parts and bolt them together to achieve our bigger goal - a goal that differs from person to person. My "one big script" won't be suited to your needs!

In terms of pointers... I read a study that said Linux was ideal for both the complete beginner and nerdy geek - it is the "middle ground" that struggle. Those that are comfortable and familiar with the ways in which prior PC systems work may flounder once they find themselves outside of their comfort zone; those coming to computers completely new tend to adapt to Linux concepts much easier, since they have no preconceptions.

For that reason alone, I feel Linux is going to be ideal for you!

For other pointers: I've advised Windows-comfortable users to take an objective-driven and task-based approach to their needs, rather than being software-centric. Rather than the usual:

Quote:"where's Outlook on this thing?""How do I start Office?"

"I can't find facebook!"
It should be:

Quote:"How do I send and receive an email?""How can I compose a letter?"

"What browsers are available, and can I connect to the Internet?"

That kinda thing.

Good luck in your endeavours, and I think we'll all be interested to see how you fare.

Oh, and don't worry about hypos. We all make spilling mistakes from time two time.

Thanks for all that but like I said to anyweb I need to learn more first I feel any free driving lessons [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif[/img] You have a lot of information only I cant find alot on hardware (DVDs and SYSLINK how to's for Daftys sorry Noobies) as to windows this is the best and free.

I only learnt about the PC in later life really, had my fill of whats on it ;-) scared my eyes. Anyway I always felt Windows was.....and found out how to rid my PC of it only it don't go away! So now I'm pottering on with this install. I would like to understand /sbin and so much more. B) Thanks mate.

Thanks dude......Cheat Sheet loved it man, now for the how to do every thing and more sheet if you'd be so kind :)