Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I completely remove Wine?

Quote:I know it has been a while, but this is now more of "How to manually install Wine"

Then I would like to know what I am missing and what I need to do next.
So far you have been asked "So, what is it that you want to do now with Wine? Roll back to 1.1.24?" but haven't really answered - you seem to be intent with asking how to do things, rather than fully stating what your intended goal is. Not saying that this is incorrect (many people want to experiment just to gain experience) but it isn't helping you much if we don't fully understand the reasoning behind your objectives.

Quote:Alternatively, if you are determined to compile from source, you may need to reinstall Fedora x86 so that your whole system is 32-bit and you sidestep this issue.
It sounds like you cannot manually compile WINE under 64-bit.

You may use YUM to install the 64-bit version from repos, but this is not the same as manually compiling.

Quote:So far you have been asked "So, what is it that you want to do now with Wine? Roll back to 1.1.24?" but haven't really answered - you seem to be intent with asking how to do things, rather than fully stating what your intended goal is. Not saying that this is incorrect (many people want to experiment just to gain experience) but it isn't helping you much if we don't fully understand the reasoning behind your objectives.

I want to manually compile Wine 1.1.24. That is what I had before. That is what worked.

Quote:Alternatively, if you are determined to compile from source, you may need to reinstall Fedora x86 so that your whole system is 32-bit and you sidestep this issue.

It sounds like you cannot manually compile WINE under 64-bit.

You may use YUM to install the 64-bit version from repos, but this is not the same as manually compiling.

I do want to compile from source. There should be no problem for two reasons:

1) As I just mentioned I had Wine 1.1.24 before and it worked.

2) I have an AMD 64 CPU that handles both 32bit and 64bit.

Part of the research was under http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44007 but, I was not sure that would work with Fedora.

I hope this clears up your questions. Please let me know exactly what you need to know so I can do this.

Thanks in advance,

Bakshara

Quote:I want to manually compile Wine 1.1.24. That is what I had before. That is what worked.

I do want to compile from source. There should be no problem for two reasons:

1) As I just mentioned I had Wine 1.1.24 before and it worked.

2) I have an AMD 64 CPU that handles both 32bit and 64bit.

Please let me know exactly what you need to know so I can do this.

Remember that your AMD64 CPU handles both 32-bit and 64-bit OPERATING SYSTEMS. It seems like you will need to compile Wine on a 32-bit OS (it won't compile on 64-bit) - but I'm not certain if the 32-bit binary will work seamlessly on 64-bit platforms.

Do you definitely know if the yum-installed version (1.1.29) wasn't any good? Or are you going for the manual compile as a challenge?

Quote:Remember that your AMD64 CPU handles both 32-bit and 64-bit OPERATING SYSTEMS. It seems like you will need to compile Wine on a 32-bit OS (it won't compile on 64-bit) - but I'm not certain if the 32-bit binary will work seamlessly on 64-bit platforms.

Do you definitely know if the yum-installed version (1.1.29) wasn't any good? Or are you going for the manual compile as a challenge?

I started with Linux Fedora 9 and Wine 1.1.24. I upgraded Linux directly to Fedora 11. I left Wine at version 1.1.24. At some point I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade wine. Then the latest version was 1.1.30. It just had all kinds of problems. That is when I did all I could to completely remove it. See complete details

Now I want to go back to 1.1.24. Then I can have the fun I was having before. As for the, "compile as a challenge," if it works it's worth it.

Please let me know what else you need to know so I can get this done.

Thanks,

Bakshara

If you want to install from an RPM, you'll need to search for the right package: wine-1.1.24.x86_64.fc11.rpm or so.

If you download that package, use "yum localinstall wine-1.1.24.x86_64.fc11.rpm" then it'll resolve dependencies for you.