Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Fedora to read/write all drives and partitions?
ok i missed the bit about fedora 10, cool, i'm still using f10 here, so you can definetly install wine that way (i've just done it, and it works fine).

Everyone,

Anyweb, I did what you said. That worked. I think. It looked like it installed wine (1.1.24), but I do not see it on any of the menus. Did I do something wrong? How do I use it?

I did the same thing for Thunderbird and it works great. I just have to figure out how to get it to share the mail database with windoze. I gave it the same path as M$ uses except for two things: I preceded it with "Media" and I used forward slashes instead of backslashes. Did I get it right or is there something else I need to do?

I also did that to install the SETI screensaver. I can not attach it to my project. Down at the bottom left it says, "Disconnected." What do I need to do?

I saw that they now have a Fedora 12. Is there a way to update to 11 or 12 without loosing everything I already set up?

I was trying to set up my Jam Studio drawing tablet. I downloaded the xorg-x11-drv-jamstudio-1.1.0-2.fc7.i386.rpm driver for it, and told it to install. It said that it needed to be installed root or core or something like that and that its security thing could not be verified. So, I did not do it. What advice do any of you have?

Bakshara the Linux noob!

Anyweb,

I saw your post in another thread about updating Fedora 10 to Fedora 11. Following is your post quoted with my comments and questions.

I would also like to know if the

Code:
xorg-x11-drv-jamstudio-1.1.0-2.fc7.i386.rpm

driver is ok.

Thanks!

Bakshara the Linux noob!

Today I decided to update my Fedora 10 laptop to Fedora 11 seeing as it's been out a while now and settled down.

The first thing to do was to get some files

Code:
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/11/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/11/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm

once done login as **root** using

Code:
su -

change to the directory where you download those files above and execute the following command

Quote:Where does it download these files to?

Code:
rpm -Uvh fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm fedora-release-notes-11.0.0-2.fc11.noarch.rpm

Quote:I got a dialog about updating. It downloaded 1155 files and then applied them.

I was very happy that it kept all my previous stuff!

Do I need to do the following?

Also, I would like to know what the DOS command prompt equivalent is. I like to use

Code:
dir > list.txt

<div>

to get file names quickly, since I peck type at about 20 words per minute.

There are some updates that some of the Linux help sites say that I need.

Code:
adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm

It give me a warning with only the options "Cancel or Force" What should I do?

</div>

then

Code:
yum clean all

then

Code:
yum update

after in gets all the updates it will then install them (1151 in my case)it will then prompt you to import the new GPG key for Fedora 11 and run

a Transaction test this can take a long time.. so be patient and don't interupt it after running the transaction test, it will run the transaction itself, so once again, be patient

after a long while, the transaction will start to scroll in your cli, and in my case 2211 transactions had to be done...

hi bakshara

to avoid confusion, can you post the questions on the other thread, that way we keep this one on topic ;)

Anyweb,

Oh, sure! Make me remember where I stumbled across that one. ;)

it was here