Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP on FreeNX for Fedora Core 6

Hey everyone, First of all i am a total noob especially when it comes to Linux. So be patient.

I had the FreeNX installed on the linux box and i was able to remote desktop from a windows machine. UNTIL one day i needed to map a network drive on the windows machine from the Linux box (which ofcourse i didnt do myself) so the person that did that told me he had to turn off a couple of things among iptables.

Here is what i did from there on:

1. uninstalled all nx software on the Linux machine.

2. reinstalled NX using the yum command thing.

3. installed NoMachine NX free edition for Linux from ----> http://www.nomachine.com/download-packag...rod_Id=540

4. messed around with the iptables in an effort to try to open port 22 (which i have no idea whether its open or closed)

The problem:

when i try to connect to the linux box from windows client i get the following message

"The NX service is not available or the NX access was disabled on host xxx.xxx.xxxx"

In the detail section:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 5128

NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command

NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files

NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options

NX> 200 Connected to address: 9.26.156.235 on port: 22

NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx

NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey

NX> 204 Authentication failed.

I really need some help on this and if its not too much i would like to fix this problem without affecting the network drive mapped on the windows machine.

the authentication failed bit is important

Quote:NX> 202 Authenticating user: nxNX> 208 Using auth method: publickey

you need to verify username and password are correct and remember, linux is CaSe SeNsiTivE

cheers

anyweb

Quote:the authentication failed bit is important 

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3704" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>NX> 202 Authenticating user: nxNX> 208 Using auth method: publickey

you need to verify username and password are correct and remember, linux is CaSe SeNsiTivE

cheers

anyweb

</div></blockquote>

Could it be something else, because it used to work but not anymore and i am using the same authentication as i used before.

Quote:4. messed around with the iptables in an effort to try to open port 22 (which i have no idea whether its open or closed)
use "iptables -L -n" and post the output here, or alternatively go to another machine (yes, even windows) and type "telnet SERVERNAME 22". If 22 is closed, you'll get a connection refused message. If it's open, you should see a OpenSSH banner, like:

Code:
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.2

The error message suggests to me that the key originally gives as part of the SSH handshake has now changed on the server - this change is detected by the client so refuses to connect for fear someone is trying to spoof the server connection.

It happens when I use PuTTY too - all I need to do is look for that key in Putty, delete it then reconnect and let it accept the new key. I don't know how to do this in NX client, but there's probably a list of "known keys" or "known hosts" somewhere in NX client which will have remembered these keys.