Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making X permanat

hi all, this seems like a very stupid question to be asking, but i am unable to make Fedora 9 boot up in window/graphical mode. I had to install it in text mode and i can invoke X with command "startx" but other than that, everytime i boot the computer up, it starts in text mode.

how do i make Fedora boot up in window mode?

Quote:hi all, this seems like a very stupid question to be asking, but i am unable to make Fedora 9 boot up in window/graphical mode. I had to install it in text mode and i can invoke X with command "startx" but other than that, everytime i boot the computer up, it starts in text mode. 

how do i make Fedora boot up in window mode?

You need to edit the /etc/inittab file. Let me briefly explain what we are doing here.

In Linux, there are several different runlevels that you can have the computer in. Right, now your default runlevel is set to 3, which is multi-user mode, but with no X. You need to change that to runlevel 5, which will give you your graphical environment at boot.

As root, you need to open the /etc/inittab file. Somewhere near the top, you'll see a line like this:

Code:
id:3:initdefault:

Change this line to read:

Code:
id:5:initdefault:

Save that file and reboot. X should come up on its own!