Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello and HELP!!!!

Hi everyone,

Im extremely new to Linux etc and have been thrown right in the deepend!

Im currently looking after a red hat web server and im having a bit of a night mare! probably easy for you guys :)

Anyways Ive googled the problem and cant find an answer.

Here we go!

Ok ive been updating a few PDFs and a web page from my companies website, the guy who handed to me told me to just dropthem in the differing folders....which I have done.

only one PDF works from the web.

All open direct.

All links etc are ok.

The file permissions are ok.

However when i try to retrieve the files from the web im getting a "you dont have permission" 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request?

The only other thing I can offer is that we use Apache 2.0.52

As i said my knowledge of linux is very very limited just a few lines a have written down!

Please can somone let me know what to do?

many thanks

Mike

Hi, welcome to the world of Linux .. in a rush ! [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

So you say you are getting a 403 error. Normally 403 are related to the file permissions or the permissions on the directories that the files lie in.

Quote:Only one PDF works from the web.

Check what permissions that PDF has, does it lie in the same directory as the others?

Quote:All open direct.

As in direct on the machine, or via a direct URL?

Quote:All links etc are ok.

Do you mean the webpage links, I assume so. Yes they are OK because you are getting 403 errors (you would get 404 if they were wrong).

Quote:The file permissions are ok.

It would be my guess that they are not OK. This is the most likely cause of 403 (although there is other things that can cause it). To check do this.

Lets assume that the PDF is here: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mypdfs/ and is called weee.pdf.

To check that the permissions are OK you need to do this:

Code:
# ls -d /var /var/www /var/www/localhost /var/www/localhost/htdocs /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mypdfs
# ls -l /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mypdfs/weee.pdf

The full path needs to be checked to make sure its accessible for the web server.

Normally the permissions for directories should look like this: drwxr-xr-x (thats 755) and for files they normally look like this: -rw-r--r- (thats 644).

If you are still experiencing issues, then you might want to check the .htaccess files. These can have rules set in them that control the access to files within the web server. Finally checking the actual httpd.conf for the same restrictions.

I hope this helps you.