how to do an install onto hard drive with knoppix?

i'm trying to get knoppix onto my hard drive so i can have it fully installed. i tried following the instructions at http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html but the fifth instruction, type knx-hdinstall at root just comes back with "command not found"

do i need to be in a specific directory to do this, if anyone knows?

how do i search for applications, in order to find where the program is to do this, if it is a program?

thanks

brent

AIM: crankbikes

What version of knoppix are you running? I just tried this using knoppix 3.4 fairly successfully. Are you running the command as root? You might try this:

sudo knx2hd

That will run knx2hd as root. You can try it with the other command if you weren't attempting it as root. The reason why it makes a difference is because root gets access to commands (like those in sbin) which non-superusers don't get access to. Hope this helps.

In case anyone is interested, I didn't end up getting it running because I was trying to install it to an external USB 2.0 hd and I can't get it to boot to it, but it seemed to install correctly. :)

the command for knoppix 3.4 and up i believe is:

sudo knoppix-installer

make sure that you have a valid ex2 partition of about 3gigs or more and a linux swap disk. if not, qtparted will be started.

after that, dont ask me because thats where i am stuck. i can install Mandrake just fine and im thinking about downloading it... the only thing i like about the knoppix CD is that it has wine installed so i dont have to mess with it, also it appears that installing debian packages is a sinch.

someone with expert knowledge please head up a tutorial session in IRC pleeeeeeeeeeeease. linux people are notorius for being snobs with the info, as if noobs can easily navigate bsd.org for their problems.

cheers

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.