Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Unpartitioned Space

This is what my partitions look like.

Quote:Disk /dev/hda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux

/dev/hda2 14 1288 10241437+ 8e Linux LVM

I understand how they work as I set up my partitions manually and made the mistake of making them very small as i thought i could set up the rest of the partitions when i was installing windows.

I also tried using LVM to resize my partitions but I couldnt fully understand how to use it, looked at the tutorial on this website for LVMs. From what I read it looked like since I only partitioned 10Gb and the 90 was left unpartitioned, I cant resize my partitions to more than 10Gb. I believe I tried making it larger but it wont allow me. I may be wrong though as I'm not really sure on how to use LVM, so if I am and I still can resize hda2 any information will help.

Thank you again!

I have installed QTParted and it shows me 3 partitions. hda1, hda2 and hda-1 (the unpartioned space).

I think I know what to do, but before I go ahead I'll ask a few questions so I dont mess up my system. :P

Im pretty sure all I have to do is create a partition on the un-partitioned space, but ....

When creating do I just create a primary partition or an extended partition?

If primary. do I create as ext2 or linux-swap?

Will this immediatelly show up on my desktop or is there any further things I have to do?

Also, do I still have to enter single user mode with qtparted?

if you want another OS on it make it primary, otherwise make it extended.

if you want to store data on it choose ext2,

cheers

anyweb

Thanks for all the help anyweb.

I've now partitioned the space and it shows it as hda3. How do i access it? I went into LVM and clicked Initialise Entity and nothing happened. Do I have to mount it or...??? :P

I've figured it all out. Thanks alot for the help anyway. I used the LVM tutorial and LVM managment itself to set up the drive. Just need to change the permissions now.