Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why is linux-noob.com here ?

have a read, it's a good article and it explains one of the main reasons i set this site up in the first place,

I setup linux-noob.com to be a place

where people could come and learn about linux

to ask questions (no matter what the question is)

and not be told to 'RTFM NOOB'

[/url][url=http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml]http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml

thanks to Enigma for the link, it's well worth a read

cheers

anyweb

I agree, no-one is ever going to move to free/open source software if all they get is 'RTFM' and insults. That's what we as a community should be trying to do, getting people vaguely interested in Linux more interested, by showing them how to do the really cool stuff, and helping them when things don't quite go to plan.

if we ever wondered :)

*hugs linux-noob*

thanks !

RTFM

Well I need stuff pointed out to me... step by step.

Thank you guys for your patience! :)

I was fortunate to find this site when I first started using linux. It had only been around for a bit but the core group of people were extremely friendly and helpful. I soon logged onto the irc channel. Same great help and everyone was cool. As I got more confident in my abilities I moved to some of the other channels and was very surprised by the results. Certain channels were crazy agrressive. You ask a decent question, you know the kind where you pick out each word carefully and for a reason, and get flamed like you had said "hey haxors im so leet" blah blah. Finally I got tired of it an came back to linux-noob. This place is great because it attracts kind people and they stick around. Eventually people will get tired of dealing with dicks and this site and its irc channel will continue to grow as they leave the places of negativity and come here.

Quote:This place is great because it attracts kind people and they stick around. Eventually people will get tired of dealing with dicks and this site and its irc channel will continue to grow as they leave the places of negativity and come here.

thanks Tek69 and happy birthday :)

Well my take on the situation is....

If you've made a vaguely readable manual (from the user's pov) - then by all means point them to it, and condemned them to hell if they still come back and ask a question.

otherwise help them like you guys and hopefully myself are trying to do.

i guess my point is, most users through fear of condemnation to hell(and back) will first read the manual and then ask the question if they still don't understand. so therefore. the manual sucks. because it hasn't fulfilled its task, of helping the user.

if that makes any sense :-)

I understand people can feel bad from hearing this word "RTFM"

when i am doing the work and i asking one partular syntax - i need to understanding this properly to get it done with my work, my bro in law shouted at me and said RTFM toward to me. I know what it is, but i need some example how to get it to work. so i have to go though some tutortial to understanding, thats taking my time waste.. it would be less 2 mins talk from hm to explain me this. so it took me 30 misn to play with the codes.

one day he asked me for the command on Fedora core 4. coz he dunno the command. i told him to RTFM. he get angry toward to me. why do he get angry to me, it what he did to me!! that should teach him a lesson for his manner.

then this case never happen :)

Quote:Oroshi Posted Jul 16 2006, 06:14 PM I understand people can feel bad from hearing this word "RTFM"

one day he asked me for the command on Fedora core 4. coz he dunno the command. i told him to RTFM. he get angry toward to me. why do he get angry to me, it what he did to me!! that should teach him a lesson for his manner.

you should have told him to sign up on linux-noob.com :P

cheers

anyweb