Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which linux distro should I choose and why ?

For anyone wondering which distro to use, I'd suggest a visit to

[/url]http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/

[url=http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/]http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

You can answer questions about what you need and the script comes up with a recommendation.

Gentoo is not hard to install or use, all you need is the patience "alot" to read and read...
It would be worth pointing out that Gentoo requires LOTS of reading. It is a tougher distribution to get used to but has a lot of benefits from basic RPM / Debian based distributions.

I run Arch and it is not for noobs. However, anyone with Slackware experience can install and configure it without issue IMO. Of course, Slackware is not a noob distro either. :)

A lot of Archers are ex-Gentoo users or use both. The problem with Gentoo is that you generally compile everything and that takes a lot of time. It is fun at first, but gets to be a drag before long. Of course, Gentoo now has compiled packages available, but if you are using compiled packages, the main advantage (maximum possible runtime performance) is no longer a real advantage. Anyway, the bottom line is that neither is suitable for noobs, although both (or all three if you consider Slackware) are suitable for the "performance" crowd. My two cents. B)

I am a FedoraCore5 user (was FC3).

I have tried Ubuntu but found it too limited, I kept wanting to "su - root"

This is a Chevy/Ford/Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Dodge... question.

Most of the distros will get you where you want to go.

The real question is which one do YOU like.

I like FC because that is what I started with and it works for me.

Jump on in the water is fine and there are plenty of lifeguards around to help when you need it.

Hello, im going to throw in my 2 cents, im still a noob in linux but ive played around with a few different distros, and im currently learning all the administrative techniques of linux.

my favorite distro is Debian, partially its the first i heard of, its got a large package base, large amounts of documentation that ive found, and its a very reliable and stable distribution. at first i was afraid of debian because it had a lot of options and i didnt know how to read the man pages and such, so i picked an easier distro that set the options out for me, like ubuntu. once i found out ubuntu was a debian based distro, i started to poke around with the limitations of ubuntu and now im making the transitiion back to debian. but with linux making new releases every so often, it becomes a pain to upgrade every so often. so i chose to look at arch.

arch linux, i was able to set up how i wanted it and edit what i want. i was also able to learn more about how the linux operating system works internally with some safeties. it took me a bit and a lot of reading to get the arch linux thing down, but every now and then i have to refer to the documentation or post a question on a forum. arch linux also has a considerable package base and somewhat easy to use even though i find myself putting in apt-get a lot. arch is a "rolling-release" which means that you dont have to upgrade to a new name of arch each time, it'll just upgrade the kernel, or other parts and keep running.

but if youre going to compile a program or some code, most linux systems have the same compilers and such, you just need to know how the files are set up in your "/". its ultimately up to the person to find out what they like, different distros have different base options but you can set it up to do what most other distros do. the graphical user interface also has a role to play in it for the newbie looking for a linux distro, like (in no certain order) gnome, fluxbox, blackbox, lxde, kde. i try to stick with slim and small GUI's, like fluxbox, or LXDE.

for an ultra noob looking to explore and test, i would recommend using a virtualization program like Virtualbox (free program), VMware (some versions are free), or QEMU. there are plenty of other virtualization programs but i dont know them all. im currently using Virtualbox on my windows system to test new distros i discover, and im tinkering with FreeBSD on my linux box too. it also helps if you have two sets of hardware, so you can get one up and running and experiment on the other.

well, good luck to the person who started this thread and anyone who reads this, hope you find that linux is more than just a mystery, its an operating system that can do a lot of things for you.

for a total newbie to linux i suggest mandriva or dreamlinux !!

i use fedora and i am very pleased for my choice,

i propose to you: start out with ubuntu, try it,learn it, spend a couple of days with it and then wake up one day and install fedora

Quote:yeah im new to the linux field and i was wondering what was the easiest to install and work with. i was recently trying to get debian but i couldnt get the links to work. if at all possible could someone post up some links or some suggestions on a os. thanks.
It depends on the machine specs, people will tell you their favorite like a promo but, you probably want one that fits your machine and works out the box (sort of) I like ubuntu but, I saw to others that caught my eye but, first choose the LTS of that version for official tech support, the L=long T=term

also know your pc specs this is more important than you know.Befor any of this below check for local vendors that sell Linux magazines with the dvd inside or outside it. Every state or city maybe different. Do you research and right down features you want and the distro that comes the close to all take that one, hopefully I may have saved you some time.

Read about the features and documentation

1.Ultimate Edition light

2.Lubuntu

3. Zorin (comes with wine & play on linux)

Quote:for a total newbie to linux i suggest mandriva or dreamlinux !!
I heard and read about that distro and it sounds promissing. I think it is good that distro projects are starting to make builds targetting new users from a new users perspective not ussuming people know what a command line is nor the windows dos prompt. I only know because I seek to these things to better understand it is a hobby of mine. I still am a noob most g33ks eyes but, I do alot of reading computing topics plus have intalled a couple of distros; upgraded ram swaped hard drives etc... my door to linux was my fascination with apple/mac so, it started it started as they say the rest is history.

Ultimate edition got me real excited but, Zorin O.S. impressed me. Now I readfrom the UE Linux site they built upon Lubuntu. check it yourself.

I may have to go with puppy cuase it is light and even though I have a 64bit machine with two processor about a 1gig half each also 160 gb HD but, I use a smart phone to tether/share the internet with my desktop emachine it only cst me 75 bux.

If you have any comment go right ahead.