other (please suggest in comments)
16.00%
4 16.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to win a nice AMD from linux-noob.com

Quote:I like the concept of the IQ test, but it should be over questions that this forum is targeted at.  A mix of hardware, software, programming, administration, etc. questions with them spread across all os's.  It should be something that a non-technical person can answer / solve with research but something difficult enough that no one person in our group could answer all the questions without having to do their own research. 

You might consider a forum, closed except for posting, where people can suggest questions and provide the answers and let the group build the test.

100 questions / problems should be reasonable.

Questions can be graded on completeness of answer, accuracy, and imagination.

The results and winning answers should be posted for all to review and would add to the FAQ / Howto section of the Forum when the contest is over.

Well, what you describe is not an IQ test, but a skills assessment test. IQ tests do not test (or should not test) for specific knowledge on any given subject, but rather the ability to reason out the answer with the information given within the question. That's why you see less of the "black:white::dark:??" type questions (which presuppose a certain vocabulary and familiarity with the English language, in addition to cognitive understanding of the analogy) and more of the questions with little icons consisting of various geometric shapes, each of which changes from one iteration to the next in a perceptible pattern, thus allowing the test-taker to determine the various progressions and then determine what the missing picture in the sequence should be.

So, that said, let's call that particular selection a "question/answer test" rather than an IQ test. As an aside, genuine IQ tests (such as the Otis-Lennon or Stanford-Binet) are given, proctored, and graded by certified psychologists -- not a random sampling of online personalities. ;)

That being said, while I see the merits of an 'essay' type of test... writing a worthwhile tutorial, for example (and it would serve to bolster the reserve of information here), such tests are rather unfairly biased towards people who can write good material covering technical subjects that the "average" reader can comprehend. This, of course, precludes everybody who either cannot compose a "decent essay" as well as those whose writing is so technical as to seem totally incomprehensible to the "average" reader.

All that said... I think the fairest possible option, to all participants here, would be a simple "random drawing", conducted and/or supervised by a disinterested and unbiased third party.

- briand

Does invision board have a point scoring system at all?

person who helps the most people on this forum, wins the prize.

I've seen some forums that, the person who creates the post, can give points to whomever helped the most.

actually vmware.com/community does it.

I'll investigate, and i think this would be the best approach.

How about set it up with whatever OS you want and whoever gets root and locks everyone else out of it wins. :P

modernbob

Quote:for those that don't yet know, i have a minitower pc here, no-name brand, with an AMD inside it. i'll post the specs shortly (nothing fancy). However, once i get a good idea for a competition i'll let one of you WIN IT (preinstalled with linux distro of your choice). 

The catch ? you pay for shipping from Sweden Europe to your home.

That's it. If you are not in, you can't win :)

so come up with some creative ideas for a competition and i'll start the ball rolling

good luck

cheers

anyweb

Quote:Does invision board have a point scoring system at all?person who helps the most people on this forum, wins the prize.

I've seen some forums that,  the person who creates the post, can give points to whomever helped the most.

actually vmware.com/community does it. 

I'll investigate,  and i think this would be the best approach.

thats a neat approach, i like the idea of the noobs giving points to users that help them. it'll give an incentive for users to post answers.

*I just want to win it [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_wub.png[/img]*

Quote:How about set it up with whatever OS you want and whoever gets root and locks everyone else out of it wins.

i like that idea ^

let me think about it....

cheers

anyweb

Hehehe that does sound good anyweb but what bugs would you put on the machine??
no bugs just stick an updated version on it to see whos good or not hehe remember to log all attempts and post them :)

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="1573" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How about set it up with whatever OS you want and whoever gets root and locks everyone else out of it wins.

i like that idea ^

let me think about it....

</div></blockquote>

sort of excludes noobs from winning no?

hehe an up to date box.... you got no chance