Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP problems

Hey, I'm on a mandrake 9.2 distro at the moment and I wanted to download and install GIMP as a linux alternative to Photoshop. I downloaded the tar.gz and I haven't a clue which commands to use in the Konsole or otherwise. Also I downloaded firefox, and it works from its shortcut but there is no icon in the 'start button menu' thingy. Maybe I installed it wrong or something, any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS how do I instert pictures properly into OpenOffice Writer? I tried doing the insert -> picure and it gives me a lot of pages (like 2000 or something) with a bunch of garble on half of each page?

I am a linux noob, but I will try to help. To install a program from it's source code, refer to this post: [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=145][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=145]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145

If a program doesn't put an entry in your start menu, you need to add it yourself. I use the Menue Editor program in KDE. The command is kmenuedit and you just use that to add new stuff.

Hope that helps