Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building my own home server

I've decided I want to build my own server and use it just as a server and for nothing else. That way I can just keep my desktop as a desktop and setup a home network and have my desktop running on a private network etc. Like I mentioned in my other post about wanting to proxy my internet traffic. I got two setups which aren't too expensive. I have put two systems together, one a a little different then the other. Just wanted your opinions.

*I removed the links cuz I found something better, see posts below here*

I found something better which looks cheaper. A backbone builder, adding all the components together I added were about 200 euro's. Won't be ordering anything till end of this month or the next
[Image: backbone-server.JPG]
That should make a pretty beefy server. You'll probably want to install the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers, if you run a GUI, but it looks great. And by the looks of things, a good price too.

Quote:That should make a pretty beefy server. You'll probably want to install the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers, if you run a GUI, but it looks great. And by the looks of things, a good price too.

I'd run it with out a gui, just basic server install. I'd run it as my backbone. I'd want to set it up connected to the internet. have my proxy/filter on it. and maybe also use it as a file server donno. Or

maybe run a guuid on it. to run vms. so I could run a file server virtually or something like that. But the point is I'd want to run it multi purpose. fileserver, proxy, etc and see if I get it to work.

Perhaps even as a VirtualBox/Xen host for running many virtual servers on one physical machine? That would give you a lot of flexibility for playing and testing with all sorts of distributions and server types.

Quote:Perhaps even as a VirtualBox/Xen host for running many virtual servers on one physical machine? That would give you a lot of flexibility for playing and testing with all sorts of distributions and server types.

You mean like physical machine running proxy/filter, then also having virtual hosts being fileserver, or other distros as server?

You could do that, yes. A world of possibilities. :) Before my server became a 'production' server, I used it (albeit slowly, at the time) to run VMware Server to run several other operating systems.

Quote:You could do that, yes. A world of possibilities. [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img] Before my server became a 'production' server, I used it (albeit slowly, at the time) to run VMware Server to run several other operating systems.

to run a multi setup like that is it better to run vmware or virtualbox?

I used VMware back then because VirtualBox didn't exist! VirtualBox should be fine, the free VMware Server app that I then used is now too out of date and you'd have to buy VMware.

A very different approach is that of Xen -- it's more complicated and less 'consumer-y', but it can be used on a much larger scale. It also has a cooler logo.