Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monitor recognized, now not

When I installed the Ubuntu, there were a few problems, but not as bad as now.

It had recognized my monitors by type and resolution. Now all of a sudden, It says both are unknown.

Other issue, cannot for the life of me get the networking to work. My Ubuntu PC is Hardwired (LAN) to our wireless and the other windows pcs are wireless. I was able to see the other pcs but couldnt access the folders, so on THOSE pcs I activated the share all permissions just to be sure the folders could be seen, eg. games/worldofwarcraft. Well it saw the games, but not the folders inside. yes I shared even the subfolders. I wanted to just drag the folder of the Wow and settings over.

My other issue is that I cannot install the cds that came with my M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3.0 mb and my HD5770 XFX video card. When I put the cd in, it puts the icon on the monitor, however, no matter what I do, it will not install. I want the software and such off from it.

Last thing, how do I get the pc to recognize the Network drive that too is also connected to the router(LAN cable not wireless)?

Ty!

Sean

Quote:When I installed the Ubuntu, there were a few problems, but not as bad as now.

It had recognized my monitors by type and resolution. Now all of a sudden, It says both are unknown.
Did this change after a recent Ubuntu update?

Operating systems generally make a "guess" at what hardware you've got, but it ain't foolproof - sometimes you've got to educate your system into selecting the right tool for the job.

If you know your make and model, you should be able to specify it in your settings. Can you remember the settings it had before any changes were made?

Quote:Other issue, cannot for the life of me get the networking to work. My Ubuntu PC is Hardwired (LAN) to our wireless and the other windows pcs are wireless. I was able to see the other pcs but couldnt access the folders
Not sure what you mean by "see"... can you ping UbuntuWindows at all? If so, your networking *is* working, but it looks like something amiss with network sharing.

Quote:so on THOSE pcs I activated the share all permissions just to be sure the folders could be seen, eg. games/worldofwarcraft. Well it saw the games, but not the folders inside.
Again, I'm not clear on how ubuntu can "see the games but not the folders inside". What error messages are you getting? What are you using to "see" the games?

Quote:I wanted to just drag the folder of the Wow and settings over.
If this is needed as a one-off, consider installing an SFTP/SCP client on your windows machine (WinSCP is one) - you can then use this to connect over SSH to your Ubuntu machine and "push" content over.

It sounds like something's amiss with sharing windows-side... can you check the windows event logs and see what they say? Usually being able to view folder shares on a windows machine but prevented from looking *inside* those shares is a permissions thing - I have found in the past that usually there's a mismatch between the username/pass on Ubuntu and the windows one, and windows tries to allow "guest" access to the folders... unless the "guest" account is disabled.

- not saying that this IS the issue, but without some error messages - or examining logfiles - not sure what the cause is!

Quote:My other issue is that I cannot install the cds that came with my M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3.0 mb and my HD5770 XFX video card. When I put the cd in, it puts the icon on the monitor, however, no matter what I do, it will not install. I want the software and such off from it.
Is this software intended to run under Ubuntu? Are you trying to run/install Windows software under Ubuntu?

Quote:Last thing, how do I get the pc to recognize the Network drive that too is also connected to the router(LAN cable not wireless)?
erm.. which "pc" (windows/ubuntu) and what do you mean by "network drive"...? Are you talking about network-attached storage (like a terrastation)?