Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
install server, configure samba and raid 1

<silent-> my company gave me a small project do in linux , i need you to give me some advice.

<silent-> basically its will be a file server and something like 5 users will need to access a shared folder

<silent-> 1- first i will need to install an os, i guess i will install centos

<silent-> 2- i will need to share a folder i guess with samba give it full control, then the user from windows machines can accept the shar through a mapped drive , example t:

<silent-> 3- i will need to configure raid 1

<silent-> 4- i wanted to know what are my recovery options, how do i do do backup, if something happend can i recover my system to another day ? is there a tool i can install that create an image and then when i want i can restore back the image.

<silent-> for step 2, and 3 i think i need a how to toturial step by step cause i never done that.

thanks a lot

Erm.. thanks for?

I'm not certain what's happening here...

i did everything..

right now what i need to know is...

i have 2 discs set with software raid1 ....

i want to clone my first disc to a third disc then put it offisite..so that if my os get corrupted i can plug my third disc and i can boot with a working os...

i heard of clonezilla...

can someone tell me step by step how to do it..

thanks

Quote:i heard of clonezilla...

can someone tell me step by step how to do it..
Have you tried any of the guides linked from the Clonezilla site?

http://linuxgravity.com/creating-and-res...-clonzilla

Failing that, you may want to consider reasons behind the cloning: are you doing this in the case of data corruption, in which case scheduled backups may be a better idea? If you are cloning purely for failure of one disk.. well, that's what RAID1 is doing, surely?

If it's OS corruption, booting from a rescue disk (CD/DVD/USB/network) to recover/fix the OS and access the data may be a safer option.