Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add Ubuntu 10.04 to my Grub menu?

Originally, I had 2 partitions/instances of Ubuntu 10.04 on my system. I then deleted what was the first installation/partition of Ubuntu in order to give Fedora 13 a try. Before installing Fedora, I verified that the Grub menu still came up and I could boot to the remaining Ubuntu OS.

After installing Fedora 13 on the space left from deleting the first Ubuntu partition, it initially boots up without even displaying a boot menu. I resolved that by changing timeout=10 in menu.lst. I located grub.cfg on the Ubuntu partition and found what I believe to be the pertinent information:

Code:
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-25-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,6)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set bd9e9e70-5b02-437b-b277-8ffc0f30fbcd
linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-25-generic root=UUID=bd9e9e70-5b02-437b-b277-8ffc0f30fbcd ro   quiet splash
initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-25-generic

I realize the Fedora menu.lst is Grub while Ubuntu's grub.cfg is Grub2. I copied and pasted the above into menu.lst, and changed menuentry to title to follow the format for the Fedora entry. When I try to boot Ubuntu, it gives an error that the kernel must be loaded before initrd.

I assume the problem is resulting from the differences between Grub and Grub2. What else do I need to change to make this work?

Thanks!

Am I right in thinking you're now using the Fedora bootloader to try and boot both Fedora and Ubuntu? Just want to check that is that way round -- the rest of this assumes you're working with the GRUB (not GRUB 2) of Fedora.

In Fedora's menu.lst, try this for the Ubuntu entry:

Code:
title Ubuntu
root (hd0,6)
kernel   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-25-generic root=UUID=bd9e9e70-5b02-437b-b277-8ffc0f30fbcd ro quiet splash
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-25-generic
boot

Note that this should work, but as soon as there is a software update to the Ubuntu kernel (as of right now, your installation has 2.6.32-25-generic), this may break, and you will have to manually update the Ubuntu entry in menu.lst to refer to the updated kernel version.

Yes, I'm trying to use Fedora's bootloader for both.

I tried putting that into menu.lst, but when I tried booting it again, I got:

Code:
Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

Any ideas? When I just had Ubuntu, the Grub would automatically detect other OS's. If I had an external USB drive with Windows on it, that would automatically appear in the boot menu (even after the drive was disconnected). Would it be possible to install Grub2, or is that asking for trouble?

Thanks for the help!

My bad, I believe GRUB Legacy actually counts the partitions starting at 0, and GRUB 2 starts them counting at 1. Try this:

Code:
title Ubuntu
root (hd0,5)
kernel   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-25-generic root=UUID=bd9e9e70-5b02-437b-b277-8ffc0f30fbcd ro quiet splash
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-25-generic
boot

and see if that then works.

That did the trick!

Thank you very much

Quote:That did the trick!

Thank you very much

Glad it worked! :)