Poll: How easy is Linux to install with 2 existing windows installations?
Very easy
Easy
Medium
Hard
Very hard
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Install Linux alongside 2 windows installations

Don't reformat the Linux partitions.

It seems very likely this is the UUID stuff slipping us up. Whilst in the live CD, run this:

First, for the LINUX_ROOT part

Code:
uuidgen
sudo tune2fs /dev/sda3 -U "XXXXXXX"

Replacing XXXXX with the result you get from uuidgen.

Repeat the process for the LINUX_HOME part

Code:
uuidgen
sudo tune2fs /dev/sda5 -U "XXXXXXX"

Again, replace XXX with your uuidgen result.

Now, note down the two UUIDs that you just set.

Reboot the computer and when you get to the bootloader, press 'e' while the top Ubuntu Linux line is highlighted. Scroll down to the line beginning search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set and press 'e' again. Edit this line, replacing in the UUID of the LINUX_ROOT partition that you wrote down.

Press Enter to confirm the change to that line, then press 'b' to attempt to boot.

Note that this method avoids actually editing any configuration files; all you are doing is editing the commands you are booting, so we are minimising the chances for something to go wrong.

If the system does boot, congratulations! But once booted, you should immediately do this from the new, installed system's terminal:

Code:
sudo blkid

Verify that the UUIDs for the new partitions are the ones you set earlier.

Code:
sudo update-grub

That should fix the bootloader configuration so you can boot without editing manually next time.

Fingers crossed... :)

Quote: 

First, for the LINUX_ROOT part

Code:
uuidgen
sudo tune2fs /dev/sda3 -U "XXXXXXX"

<div>

</div>

Not to be rude, but are you sure you want me to do /sda3? That particular one is listed at Windows 7 and sda4 is listed as Linux_Root. I'll wait for this reply before I do what you just said.

Thanks again!

Quote:Not to be rude, but are you sure you want me to do /sda3? That particular one is listed at Windows 7 and sda4 is listed as Linux_Root. I'll wait for this reply before I do what you just said. 

Thanks again!

Absolutely I mean sda4. Sorry, my simulation I did earlier clearly had a disparity between the partition numbers. You should definitely run the commands on the correct devices for LINUX_ROOT and LINUX_HOME, whatever they show up as on your system.

Hey again hybrid!

Okay, I was following your instructions, but a problem arised with the uuidgen:

Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ uuidgen
0966020d-2889-4f04-a785-83862d68c083
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo tune2fs /dev/sda4 -u "0966020d-2889-4f04-a785-83862d68c083"
tune2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
tune2fs: bad uid/user name - 0966020d-2889-4f04-a785-83862d68c083
Usage: tune2fs [-c max_mounts_count] [-e errors_behavior] [-g group]
       [-i interval[d|m|w]] [-j] [-J journal_options] [-l]
       [-m reserved_blocks_percent] [-o [^]mount_options[,...]]
       [-r reserved_blocks_count] [-u user] [-C mount_count] [-L volume_label]
       [-M last_mounted_dir] [-O [^]feature[,...]]
       [-E extended-option[,...]] [-T last_check_time] [-U UUID]
       [ -I new_inode_size ] device
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ uuidgen
dedf5ddc-ced4-4a39-90d7-e170d67b6262
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo tune2fs /dev/sda4 -u "dedf5ddc-ced4-4a39-90d7-e170d67b6262"
tune2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
tune2fs: bad uid/user name - dedf5ddc-ced4-4a39-90d7-e170d67b6262
Usage: tune2fs [-c max_mounts_count] [-e errors_behavior] [-g group]
       [-i interval[d|m|w]] [-j] [-J journal_options] [-l]
       [-m reserved_blocks_percent] [-o [^]mount_options[,...]]
       [-r reserved_blocks_count] [-u user] [-C mount_count] [-L volume_label]
       [-M last_mounted_dir] [-O [^]feature[,...]]
       [-E extended-option[,...]] [-T last_check_time] [-U UUID]
       [ -I new_inode_size ] device
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I know I typed it correctly, as I done a Copy-Paste on the UUID string. I am determined not to give up!!

Thanks!

EDIT: Do you think perhaps the UUID is too long? It seems quite long to me considering the one it's using for the others (Win XP, Win 7, Files).

You have typed -u instead of -U. The case is often important; one of the things that must be learned about Linux!

In this case, -u probably denotes 'user' and -U denotes 'UUID' for this command.

Quote:You have typed -u instead of -U. The case is often important; one of the things that must be learned about Linux!

In this case, -u probably denotes 'user' and -U denotes 'UUID' for this command.

Absolutely 100% correct there. I will make a mental note of that. For all the modern technology in this household, we lack a pen and paper lol. I will return once i've completed your instructions.

Thanks!

Hello Hybrid!

Wow, it's working! I done as you said, rebooted, done the blkid + update-grub (PS, update-grub wasn't working when on LiveCD). Also sda5's UUID is matching, so is there anything further I need to do to make sure it remains stable? I would say I could kiss you but, I don't think you want a peck from a big hairy guy like me lol.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've made my day, I think I might even be able to catch the last hour of sunlight now :)

EDIT: What I done in the boot, pressing e and manually typing the UUID, will I have to do this for sda5 (Linux_Home) also?

Quote:Hello Hybrid!

Wow, it's working! I done as you said, rebooted, done the blkid + update-grub (PS, update-grub wasn't working when on LiveCD). Also sda5's UUID is matching, so is there anything further I need to do to make sure it remains stable?

Check your grub.cfg from your new installed system, and make sure the UUIDs you expect now show up in that file.

Then hold your breath and test it -- reboot again to make sure you can select Kubuntu and have it boot normally, without having to do anything special. If that works, then you can relax and everything now should go a lot smoother I hope. :)

If not, you should be able to get back in by editing the boot line at runtime as you just did. Fiddly, but it gets you back into the system. Once you're back in, we can, if necessary, start working with GRUB's configuration files to get it to save the right UUID values and boot properly every damn time. (Or failing that, abandon the horrendous complicated mess of GRUB2 and go back to the older version of GRUB which I know a lot more about!)

Quote:I would say I could kiss you but, I don't think you want a peck from a big hairy guy like me lol.

Erm... I'm gonna decline you on that, but I'm sure it's the thought that counts. ;)

Hello Hybrid!

Okay, i've checked the grub.cfg and it is showing the UUID. However there is no reference to sda5 nor is there a reference to the UUID of it in there. Perhaps it isn't supposed to list it.

Also another thing, since i've stopped using the "Try Kubuntu without installing" my dolphin (Which is Linux's File Explorer I assume) is displaying as:

[Image: snapshot2hd.jpg]

Is that correct?

I really am quite relieved that everything seems to be working now :)

Thanks again!!

Quote:Hello Hybrid!

Okay, i've checked the grub.cfg and it is showing the UUID. However there is no reference to sda5 nor is there a reference to the UUID of it in there. Perhaps it isn't supposed to list it.

That sounds all expected. Because sda5 is your home partition, i.e. you don't boot from it, it shouldn't show up in the GRUB config file at all. I just thought it prudent to give it a UUID too since it normally would have one.

Quote:Also another thing, since i've stopped using the "Try Kubuntu without installing" my dolphin (Which is Linux's File Explorer I assume) is displaying as: 

[Image: snapshot2hd.jpg]

That looks right. Now, your root partition is mounted as / and is accessible by browsing to that path (and probably via the 'Root' entry in the sidebar). Your home partition is now mounted as /home and is accessible by browsing to that path. The folder described as 'Home' in your sidebar is your home directory, rather than the directory which contains everyone on the computer's home directories (/home). Your home directory's path will be something like /home/yourusername.

Finally, your Windows partitions show up in the sidebar because they are not treated in the same way as your mounted Linux partitions. I'm not sure whether or not they are mounted right now (I don't know what the symbol next to the drive icons means), but when they are, they will be accessible from the path /media/Drive Label as well as via Dolphin's sidebar.

Dolphin is the file browser for KDE. Other distributions might use a different file manager program, so Dolphin isn't the Linux file manager, but it is the one that Kubuntu uses.

Just to reiterate, I have no idea why this UUID business failed in the first place. The install should have finished fine first time and booted right away! One thing's for sure, though -- we both have learned a lot from this problem! :)